After the fall of the war of independence 1848-49 the citizens couldn't resign the kaiserism. They wore the cap of patriots and cockade. This amtosphere characterized the youth too. When the priest wanted to pray for the kaiser the students balked it with cough. The day after it the members of the choir joined to the students so the cough was louder. 11 students was charged: one was closed off the school the others got stripes and reprehension.
The statue of Nepomuki Szent János
(Cathedral Nagyboldogasszony, Kossuth square)
When the statue became ready, it was unpainted. In the beginning of the 19th century during a night someone painted it. They didn't find the delinquent. Only 60 years later confessed Illés Kaposi the act in a poem. He offered to repair the statue but the judge refused it.
(Fő street 1)
Mihály Csokonai Vitéz first visit to Kaposvár is in connection to a county ball. Gróf Ferenc Széchenyi was inducted to lord lieutenant. The poet wrote a poem in honour of the event. He got the inspiration to write his drama the "Dorottya, avagy a dámák diadala a fársángon". The building was made in the 18th century in baroque style.
Arany Oroszlán Pharmacy
(Fő street 19)
Mihály Csokonai Vitéz had to visit József Pryker's pharmacy because of a toothache - it was the second visit of the poet.
The connection of József Rippl-Rónai is not an everyday story. The father of the 14 year old boy - because of his bad school results - sent him to work as a pharmacy assistant. He impressed his left hand with vitriol and he wore its signs until his die. In spite of he didn't like this searching job, he became a pharmacy student. He finished the second year in the medical faculty and he got the certification of pharmatist too. Than he returned to Kaposvár to the Arany Oroszlán Pharmacy. In the loneliness of the duty room he painted the "Fiatal nő estélyi virágos ruhában".
Gergely Csiky Theater
The acting always had important role in the town. Therefore the building of a stone theater became due in the end of the 19th century. The chiefs of the town appointed the place in 1908 and announced the application. According to the gossips they wanted the theater to be at least one seat bigger than the National Theater was in Pécs.
Finally it opened its gates in 1911 and in that time that was the modernest and biggest countyside theater with the capacity of 1400 spectators.
Donner city part
János Donner - was autrichien and the big fan of beers - missed the good beer in Kaposvár. Sometimes he brought from Graz, but the delivery took a long time and during the travel it went wrong or they run out from it. In 1857 János Donner on the other side of the river Kapos built up his house and brewery. He didn't get licence for it, he opened a pub which became very popular. This pub doesn't exit but the part of the city was named after him.
The studio of Mór Langsfeld
(Ady Endre street 4.))
The famous photographer moved to Kaposvár in the years of 1860 where were big markets. In 1887 during a market a robbery with violence happened and the attackers died in the gunfire. Without their paper they couldn't identify them. Mór Langsfeld's idea was to take them a photo and send them to every prison and so the identification was succesfull. The newspapers wrote about his ideas and the criminalism use this method since then.
(Kontrássy street 4.))
This is one of Kaposvár's most secessionist building and you can see the naked Adam and Eva on the front of it (it caused big scandal in 1912).
The building of the town and county court
(Bajcsy-Zs. str. 3.)
The monumental building was built in 1906 and there are two gammy towers on the top of it. One of them illustrates the statue of Godness Justicia. The speciality of the statue is that the Godness hold a shield in its left hand and her eyes are not covered.
The alley of Németh István
In 1904 the major of Kaposvár István Németh located the lime trees. They age is different because the perished trees were complemented. In our days, after 100 years there are more than 105 lime trees in the street, which give shadowe to the walker.
Gugyuló Jesus statue
(Csalogány street - Béla király street)
It is one of the cities oldest baroque statue from 1721. In the box there is a Jesus statue whose hands are bounded. The statue was stolen several times. After its turning up it got place in the staircase of the Town Hall.
Kaposvár és környéke (Szerk. Dávid János, Dávid Kiadó, 2000. Kaposvár
Hartner Rudolf: Kaposi fák, Kaposvár, 2002.